The sculpture, of patinated cherry, shows a Slovenian Lady in traditional dress, complete with AVBA (bonnet). She carries in her arm a bouquet of nageljni (red carnations), the Slovenian national flower, and waves a handkerchief in greeting. The original ancient oak base shows the capital city’s coat-of-arms, with Ljubljana Castle on the hills of the city, and Dragon as Protector of the city and the Ljubljanica river. In the summer of 2006, The Honorable, Michael D. Polensek, Councilman of the Collinwood community and “Dean” of City Council, himself of Slovenian descent, rediscovered the lost & neglected sculpture, with the assistance of Mr. Donald Walter, a Building Stationary Engineer for the city.
A Committee was created comprised of The Consul General of Slovenia in Cleveland, Dr. Zvone Zigon, The honorable Joe Cimperman, Councilman, The honorable Michael D. Polensek, Councilman, City of Cleveland, and The honorable August B. Pust, Ph.D., member of The United States Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad.
Mr. Timothy Riffle of Brownhoist Studios and Mr. Charles Gliha, of Civitas Cleveland Ltd, volunteered to restore and remount the statue, in preparation for its ceremonial return to The Office of the Mayor. Sculpted by Tone Kralj of Slovenia. Given by the people of Ljubljana to the people of Cleveland.
Presented by The Mayor of Ljubljana, Dr. Jure Adlesic, to the Mayor of Cleveland, The honorable Harold H. Burton (May 15, 1938.
Presented anew by The Ambassador of Slovenia to the United States, His Excellency Samuel Zbogar, to the Mayor of the City of Cleveland, The Honorable Frank G. Jackson (May 18, 2007).
You must be logged in to post a comment.